Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Day on the FOB

Today we didn't go on a mission or go anywhere outside the FOB...come to think of it we didn't do anything yesterday either. It's really weird the mindset you get in when on a combat deployment. It's much safer on the FOB and less stress, but I would rather go out on a mission any day of the week as opposed to staying on the FOB. It's all about making time go by faster. When you're sitting on the FOB there is really nothing to do so time just snails by and it seems like entire week went by...but it was just one day. I would rather it feel like a day went by, but rather it was an entire week.
Lets see, today I sat around my bunk and did absolutely nothing. I did things, but they were small things to just eat up time. I cleaned my weapons, reorganized my body armor components, cleaned my bunk area, meandered through the FOB PX to better organize my Go Bag, played a little bit of PSP, and then talked with my family as they are in Cleveland for one of Justin's hockey tournaments. Other than talking with my family everything I did was to bite some time off the day to get it over quicker.
I actually like leaving the gate in a Mounted Combat Patrol (MCP) to go somewhere and do something. There is self-worth to it and you feel as though you are doing something over here rather than rotting on a bunk - equivalent to sitting in jail cell bunk waiting for chow time to get out of the cell and go somewhere within the confines to eat and socialize. There is also an undescribable adrenaline rush when you go out of the gate and into the 'combat zone'. You get all suited up like a roman warrior preparing for battle, you load ammo in your weapons for anything that might happen on the mission and your senses are heightened because you're constantly looking for something on the side of the road or on rooftops that may be of danger to you and your crew. I love that feeling. Most people do if they experience it just once in their life. I don't care who you are, it's a feeling that is undescribable yet something that you look forward to.
So, it'll be nice when we go outside the gate next because it'll make time go by faster and get me moving again. I know my family doesn't like to hear that, but I feel as though they understand it in some strange way.
Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment