Friday, December 12, 2008

Update 12DEC2008

Thought I would send an update to let everyone know how things are going over here. Things here are busy as usual, although today was pretty slow. We didn't go anywhere - just vehicle maintenance. These MRAPs are hard to maintain because there are so many moving parts to them. It's almost as bad as maintenance on a helicopter!
There was a big 5 day holiday here for the Iraqi's this week so not much occurred during the week. There was some violence but there's always violence. For the most part, though, there were a lot of Iraqi's drunk in the streets at night and, during the day, most of them were sleeping their hangovers off. Believe it or not, they party hardy over here!
The big thing I wanted to talk about was how fast this deployment seems to be moving along. We are already 3/4 through this deployment and it seems like I haven't been here that long. I think it's because we have a lot more here - more MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) assets here like internet in our rooms, movie nights, ping pong, and other stuff to eat up time. The missions are also more frequent this rotation. In Aviation we have to get so much rest before we fly next, on the ground that goes completely out the window. We're always doing something so there isn't as much down time as usual (for me). Guys will start going on leave soon and that will make things go by even more fast! In a bigger unit leave doesn't mean much because there are some many other guys, but on an 11-man team one guy gone is highly noticeable!
I haven't gotten too sick over here. Not like the last time anyway. I have managed to keep my weight on and keep my strength. I had the sniffles a few times but that's only because of the temperature changes we're going through right now. The temps get down pretty low at night here - at least compared to the daytime temps we get. The temp could drop 40 degrees in 45 minutes and then the body goes through a temp shock because it happens too quick. Some of the other guys have gotten stomach viruses and I haven't gotten any of that too bad so I'm very thankful. Some guys even had to get stuck (IV) to get fluids replenished in their system! That was me the last deployment!
One thing that I'm noticing is that my body isn't what it used to be. I'm feeling very much mortal on this deployment. My back reminds me of it daily. I think those 1400 hours of flying helicopters has taken a toll on my back...and I'm not even done flying in my career! This body armor that I wear here is about 35-40 pounds with my weapons attached and all of my ammo. That's definitely taking a toll on my back. All of the aches and pains go away quickly though. Today we had a "day off" to do maintenance and already my back doesn't hurt, but when we go out on missions and come back a few muscle relaxers help a bunch!
I'm still doped up on caffeine and I still smoke - it's too hard to quit those vices when you're constantly busy and require constant alertness. I would rather keep these vices and come home alive rather than the opposite. I'll think about quitting those vices after I get home and settle back into family life. Could be a good plan for the wife and me.
Alright, just wanted to check in and let everyone know that I'm still here and doing fine. Busy, but fine. Hope everything back on the home front is going good.

-Happy Holidays to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Honey, you're only 1/4 of the way through........not 3/4! But, you're right that it has gone by pretty fast so far. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey it's adam dohm
    what are we...?...
    2nd cousins-in-law?
    my head hurt trying to figure it out.

    i know what you mean about that
    "not feeling as young as you used to be"
    it seems like i hit 30 and everything went to shit.

    oh well

    i've told a few people about your blog and
    they seem to like it.
    i like to hear how your days are filled,
    and gain a great perspective over what
    i hear in the news.

    keep up, and keep sharp!
    smoke 'em if thats what it takes.
    i can't seem to quit, but maybe
    we can all make a pact when you're
    back home.

    ReplyDelete